Friday, January 16, 2015

Homemade Lip Balm (Chapstick)


Yes, you can make your own lip balm!  Can you believe it?  It is super easy too!  With the brutal cold and dryness that comes with winter, this is a necessity.

My youngest son always has chapstick in his pocket in the winter.  His poor little lips get so dry and red. Then he licks them and they get worse.  He is also the one who used to constantly be sick in the winter.  Notice I said USED TO.  If you haven't read my Why Essential Oils? page yet, read it!  You will be reaching for the Thieves before you finish it.  Anyway, my thinking was this...if Thieves is so great for keeping germs at bay, and my son is a boy who is around germs at school, putting his fingers in his mouth, nose, and wherever else he touches...then Thieves on his lips could definitely help.  And in the winter, who doesn't buy at least one peppermint chapstick?  So I made that one too.

Thieves essential oil helps to support the immune system.  It is a blend of Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon, Eucalyptus and Rosemary.  It's called Thieves because of a story about four thieves who covered themselves in cloves, rosemary, and other aromatics while robbing plague victims.  There are a number of products that use the Thieves oil in the Young Living product line.  I am just beginning to discover them.


Peppermint essential oil is used for energy and digestive support.  You can put a drop in your hot cocoa or tea, use it topically with a carrier oil, or diffuse it. It takes a pound of peppermint to make 1 bottle of Young Living Peppermint oil.



Okay, I know you want the recipe, but I have to tell you, this is the best lip balm you will ever use.  Once you make it, you will no long want to touch a store bought chapstick to your lips.  Make it at your own risk!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. 

DIY Chapstick

5 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
3 Tablespoons Beeswax
12 drops of YLEO (I used YL Peppermint and YL Thieves, but you could use whatever you like)
Empty Lip Balm Tubes

Melt Coconut oil and Beeswax in a glass, pourable measuring cup in the microwave or in a double boiler.  Add YLEO and pour into empty lip balm tubes.  It will harden pretty quickly. 

Yields:  15-20 tubes

You can put labels on them.  I just printed out labels from the computer and used packaging tape to make sure it stayed on.  I'm sure there's a better way.  LOL  I just used my label maker on my personal tube.   Plain, but it works. 


No comments:

Post a Comment