Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Lavender Body Butter


My skin gets extremely dry in the winter, especially my hands.  I have tried many creams and lotions in the past.  Since I started using essential oils, I have started paying attention to what "scents" are in my lotions.  Most are not natural ingredients, and those that are are priced outrageously.  I don't mind spending good money on something that works, but not to try it out.  That's just throwing money away!

I looked online to find lotion recipes, searching the web and pinning on pinterest, and found LOTS of options.  Now what?   I decided to choose one or two that I already had most of the ingredients on hand.  This body butter is not going to go on like a lotion you'd buy at the store.  More like those thicker "dry skin" types, but when you use coconut oil it has a different consistency.  It will be thick and more firm in the jar, but when you scoop it into your hands it will start to melt a bit.  Your body temperature is enough to get it to melt so that you can spread it onto your body.  After applying it you may think it's too oily, or you put too much on...just give it a few minutes to absorb into your skin.  I usually put it on right out of the shower.  Then dress after I have my hair and makeup done.  That's what works for me.  If I'm in a hurry, I've gotten dressed right away and that's fine too; I just know some of it probably gets into my instead of all of it into my skin.

In this recipe I use YL Lavender Essential Oil.  This is an amazing oil that can be used for skin irritations,  as well as relaxation.  Lavender can assist the cardiovascular system, Nervous System, and the skin. It is mentioned in various essential oil resources that, "when in doubt, use lavender."  It's so true!  I don't know how I have only now discovered this oil.  

The first time I used lavender essential oil was from a straight iron burn on my ear.  My hair touching where I had been burned was very painful, in addition to the burn itself.  I put a drop of lavender on it and almost immediately the burning feeling went away.  The next morning it was like it never happened.  I have since used it in the kitchen when cooking and have burned myself or cut myself.  You can apply the lavender directly to a cut.  The quick healing properties I have experienced, makes it my "go to" for cuts and burns.  It's also wonderful for relaxation.  Put a few drops in your diffuser, or on your wrists.   I have also used it with lemon and peppermint to help my sinuses to open up so that I could breathe.  I simply added the three oils to a diffuser.  It's really an amazing oil, used alone or combined with other oils.

I tried two recipes for body butter, and this is the one I use every day.  Add more or less essential oil of your choice for a stronger or lighter scent.

Lavender Body Butter

1 C Shea Butter  
1/4 C Coconut Oil 
1/2 teaspoon Vitamin E  WHERE I BUY IT
1/4 C Fractionated Coconut oil (Almond Oil or other Oil of your choice)  WHERE I BUY IT
Lavender Essential Oil  HOW TO ORDER
Glass Jar  WHERE I BUY IT
 
Melt the shea butter and coconut oil, and mix.  Cool until slightly set (I popped it in the freezer a bit because I'm impatient).  Add Vitamin E and fractionated coconut oil or almond oil, along with essential oil of your choice.  Whip until it has a "butter like" consistency.  Place in a clean glass jar.  A little goes a long way, so try a bit at a time.


Enjoy!  Be sure and let me know what oils you try.


No comments:

Post a Comment